Silicon, Circuits, and the Digital Revolution
Review of Electronic Band Structure
- Difference between metal and insulator is full vs. partially-full
- Difference between insulator and semiconductor is one of degree;
-- that is, how large is the band gap?
- Smaller than 2eV is usually considered to be a semiconductor
-- probably because of photoconductivity
-- lowest energy visible photons are red (2eV)
- Can we move energy levels closer to the conduction band?
-- Yes, by doping the semiconductor with impurities!
- Consider the following schematic of the covalent bonding of neighboring
(Please keep in mind the 3-D model from the previous class of the actual
arrangement of silicon atoms in a semiconducting crystal.)
Comments, suggestions, or requests to email@example.com.
Last updated April 20, 2000.
© George Watson, Univ. of Delaware, 2000.