Silicon, Circuits, and the Digital Revolution
- State of equilibrium, state of lowest energy, is known as the ground
- Higher energy states are known as excited states.
- with orbitals that are larger, with different shapes.
- Electrons can be promoted to higher orbits by:
- collisions with other atoms
- bombardment with electrons or other particles
- absorption of light...
- Light is emitted when atom relaxes to ground state from excited state.
- Demonstrations of discharge lamp (with neon, hydrogen, and oxygen), falling
- On careful examination, we find that light emitted by excited atoms has
discrete values of energy.
- Deduce that electrons in an atom have discrete values of energy.
- Energy levels of electrons in an atom are quantized.
- Energy level diagrams -- sample of emission spectrum: hydrogen
- Quantum physics
Additional Online References
- Visual Quantum
Mechanics -- Laser
Adventure from Physics
Education Group at Kansas State Univ.
Model of the Atom
and the Energy Diagrams
Emission of Electromagnetic Radiation
Comments, suggestions, or requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated April 17, 2000.
© George Watson, Univ. of Delaware, 2000.