Silicon, Circuits, and the Digital Revolution
Concentration of Doping - Semiconductors
- Review effects of doping on resistivity of semiconductor
-- figure from Ashcroft and Mermin "Solid State Physics" showing antimony-doped
- the first factor of ten increase in doping leads to a factor of ten-thousand
increase in conductivity!
- For comparison, this is like a return of $2 on a $1 investment, shooting
up to a $20,000 return on increasing to a $10 investment...
- a factor of 60 variation in doping level results in ten orders
of magnitude variation in resistivity.
- converts germanium effectively into a metal!
Comments, suggestions, or requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated April 20, 2000.
© George Watson, Univ. of Delaware, 2000.