SCEN103 9/19 Class
Bottom of page/
Tell me more about batteries!
-- The Story of Packaged Power,
a Battery Works,
to Proper Battery Care
-- Battery Buzz
-- The Anatomy of the On-Battery Tester
-- Life with and without Batteries
Results of previous group activity
- Review discussion of electrical power
- Sample calculation of power delivered and dissipated in sample circuit
-- for example, 3.0 V battery and 6.0 ohm resistor.
- Internal resistance
-- Start "battery discharge" demonstration
- Measure voltage across battery with no R, 3 ohm, and 1.5 ohm.
- Plot "terminal" voltage vs. current.
- Examine difference -- need concept of internal resistance
- Results of the demonstration
- Discussion of battery characteristics
- Primary battery types: advantages and disadvantages
- Comparative energy cost?
- Complete battery discharge demonstration
-- effects of aging on internal resistance
Electrical power group activity
Top of page/
- Consider the different battery packages that are commonly available:
AAA, AA, C, or D.
Does the data on battery characteristics
support the following hypothesis:
The energy content of a battery is proportional to its volume.
- Please support your discussion with calculation and graph.
Back to SCEN103 Home Page.
Comments, suggestions, or requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated Sept. 19, 1996.
Copyright George Watson, Univ. of Delaware, 1996.