Reverse Internet Challenge
What student attacked Johann Sebastian Bach in 1705? What instrument did the student play?
- For a change I started with Britannica Online: Bach
- Found that it was a bassoon player in the Arnstadt period, but unfortunately no name.
- From AltaVista: Bach
- Found http://www.jsbach.org/
- From the biography page
to a map page
to an Arnstadt page.
- Preliminary answer: bassoon player Geyersbach
- Returning to AltaVista: +Geyersbach
- Fourth entry:
-- nanny-goat bassoonist
- Also found the following detailed answer at
Bach Bits of March 9, 1997
Bach the troublemaker: A student bassoonist, J.H. Geyersbach, took umbrage
with Bach's comparing his playing to the bleating
of a nanny-goat. On the night of Aug. 4, 1705, Geyersbach and five
companions confronted Bach. Geyersbach threatened the
young church organist and music teacher with a stick, and Bach drew his
sword. The disputants were separated, but school
authorities later cited Bach for failure to get along with his students.
Also found Bach Central Station, another interesting Bach site.
Back to SCEN103 Home Page.
Comments, suggestions, or requests to email@example.com.
Last updated April 14, 1999.
Copyright George Watson, Univ. of Delaware, 1999.