Discussion of 10/10 Group Exercise
Classification of Solids
Observe and test the four cylindrical samples provided.
The four cylinders were samples of
Try to identify as many physical attributes as possible.
Possible attributes to mention:
Top of page
- Specular Reflectivity -- shiny?
- Optical Absorption -- transparent?
- Appearance of sandpaper test (color of fine particles)
- Surface texture? -- property of sample or of preparation?
- Density -- weight
- Hardness -- scratch test
- Electrical conduction -- resistance? metal or not?
- Thermal conduction -- coolness to touch
- Resilience/Dissipation -- bounce test, dent test
- Speed of sound/attenuation -- "ping" test
- Malleable? -- scratch with razor blade, brittle? gummy?
Back to SCEN103 Home Page.
Comments, suggestions, or requests to email@example.com.
Last updated Nov. 7, 1996.
Copyright George Watson, Univ. of Delaware, 1996.